Nursing Homes are known by many names, such as:
- Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNF)
- Care Center
- Rest Home
- Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Facility
- Elder Care Home
- Adult Home
- Homes for the Aged
No matter the name, all are state licensed facilities with registered nurses that provide skilled nursing care for persons who need moderate to severe medical services. Most Nursing Homes offer both short-term rehabilitation and long-term care.
Typically rehabilitation services follow a hospital stay and focus on the short term rehabilitation of elderly patients who intend to return to their home, perhaps after a fall resulting in a fractured hip. Duration of rehabilitation stays range from a few days to a few weeks.
Many Skilled Nursing Facilities also have permanent residents with complex and potentially serious medical problems such as life-threatening infections, serious wound care, IV therapy, as well as residents who are unable to care for themselves due to being severely incapacitated physically or mentally.
Nursing Homes provide a necessary and vital link between hospitals and long term care and independent living.
Some hospitals and Assisted Living communities also operate Skilled Nursing Facilities on site. Because they often resemble a hospital, complete with nurses’ stations, hard floors and bed rails, they have been negatively referred to as ‘institutions.’ Nursing Home care is appropriate for individuals that have serious disabilities to the extent that the services they need cannot be found through in-home care, Board and Care or Assisted Living facilities.
If your loved one requires this level of specialized care, don’t hesitate to call us at (619) 660-8814. We’ll help you find the home that best fits your needs.
For More Information on Nursing Homes…
- Are Your Retirement Savings Enough To Pay For Nursing Home Care?Two important trends paint a very dark picture for the future of long-term care in America. The first trend is the continually increasing price of long-term care. Nursing homes, one Read More
- Selecting A Nursing Home For Your Loved OneNursing homes or skilled nursing facilities, as they are also called, have a gloomy reputation and certainly through the years that reputation has been earned. However, more and more, nursing Read More
- Moving Into A Nursing Home Means A Change Of Address – Let Your Contacts KnowMoving into a nursing home is a big and time-consuming process. There are a lot of things to think about, such as what to do with pets, what to sell, Read More
- What To Do About Your Vehicle When You Move Into A Nursing HomeIf you are preparing to move into a nursing home or assisted living facility, you will have to make a lot of decisions regarding your possessions. Traditional nursing homes offer Read More
- Oddities That Matter When Evaluating a Nursing HomeEvaluating a nursing home can be incredibly difficult. Why? Well, it is almost always your first time doing such an evaluation, so you can often lose the forest for the Read More
- Nursing Home Location, Location, LocationWhen it comes to choosing a nursing home, many factors must be taken into consideration. One of the most important is the nursing home location, specifically its proximity to an Read More